Friday, July 5, 2013

Wildfire and lightning outside Kingman Arizona



While driving along the 40 freeway from Flagstaff Arizona to San Diego California I was treated to a spectacular show of thunder and lightning. Flagstaff had a very nice heavy rain and thunderstorms for the better part of the afternoon. The mountains of Arizona Snowbowl were gorgeous.  As I left Flagstaff and made my way past Williams Arizona I caught up with the storm again. For most of the trip the main show of lightning was directly in front of me. 


At one point lightning was striking about every thirty seconds to one minute. Several times the winds were so strong both my tripod and I started to get blown over.  As I got into Kingman Arizona I got out from under the storm and could only see flashes of light behind me. Once closer to the Hualapai Mountains I started to notice a strange glow which turned out to be the Dean Peak Fire which was making its way towards Kingman.


I passed through Kingman at 1am and at the time it was 96 degrees.  A combination of high winds and heat made the fire look like it was swirling. 









No comments:

Post a Comment