Monday, June 10, 2013

Potting Up Leucadendron Cuttings

I had a critter tear through all my cuttings a few months ago and among the casualties were all my small tender leucadendron cuttings. This time around I decided to go big and stuck in some sizable branches into a five galon pot of perlite with a little rooting hormone and covered the pot with a trash bag. Well the critters left them alone and after a few weeks this time I have success!

I purchased this plant more than a year ago labeled Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' but after looking at pictures I suspect this may actually be 'Jester'. 
Nice healthy roots


I made a mix of 2 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite, and 1 part perlite.


Happy plants already showing new growth

When I bought the plant I had no idea how protea grew and made the rookie mistake of assuming they were tropical so I place my plant next to our porch where it only gets the last few hours of the day in full sun and I gave it a ton of water. Apparently Leucadendrons are fairly tolerant because my plant didn't die and is still growing nicely in the same spot. I want to move it but worry the stress of the move maybe to much for it. 
I should mention that we do have very well draining soil on our property which maybe why the plant has survived without rotting. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello, this is an old post...I hope you get my question. What do you mean when you say you covered them with a trash bag? so they were in the dark? the whole plant and pot covered? Also, what type of sun were they getting? Morning, mid day, or evening? Did you water them at all? I am in Chula Vista so it's similar weather. I just bought some of these and they were pricey so I would like to make more with cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Architecture Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. portrait photographer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! Wedding Venues

    ReplyDelete